"Sweet potato burgers with avocado"
Wowser! I love a good burger 🍔🍔 Check this out!
You could totally do this without a bun and add a dollop of home made aoli to this masterpiece 👍
·1 medium sweet potato, baked and peeled
·400g cooked white beans (canned, drained and rinsed)
·1/2 cup white onion, chopped
·2-3 Tbsp tahini
·3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
·1 tsp garlic powder
·1/2 - 1 tsp chipotle powder (or cajun spice) (use more for spicier burgers)
·1/2 tsp salt
·1/4 tsp black pepper (add more for more bite!)
·1/3 cup nutritional yeast OR any flour (try oat flour)
·1/2 - 1 cup finely chopped greens (kale, spinach, parsley)
·toppings: avocado, tomato, aoli, burger buns, greens
·skillet: 1 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
·optional: Panko bread crumbs or almond meal for crispy coating
1. Bake your sweet potato in a 180-200 degree oven for 40-60 minutes or until tender. If in a hurry, you could use the microwave, but oven-baked yields a bit more flavour.
2. Add the potato and beans to a large mixing bowl. Using a large fork, mash well. Fold in the onion and keep mashing. Add all the remaining burger ingredients and mash, mash, mash well until thickened and mashed well. Tip! Rinse your beans in hot water before adding to bowl, this heats them, making them easier to mash.
3. Heat oven to 180-200 degrees.
4. Heat a skillet over high heat and add the coconut oil.
5. Form burger mixture into large patties and place on the hot skillet. If using Panko bread crumbs, roll patties in Panko to coat well.
Cook 1-3 minutes on each side, just to brown them. Repeat with all the mixture, you should yield 6 large patties or 8 small. Tip: Place mixture in the fridge for a half hour if you want it to be super easy to form into patties, this will increase cooking time by a few minutes though.
6.Place the skillet-cooked patties on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through.
Note: YES you could skip the skillet part and just bake the veggie burgers, but the flavour is better with those crispy coconut-oil seared edges.
7. Slice up all your burger toppings and toast the buns. Sprouted grain were used! Add aoli or spicy mustard and the patty and toppings. Serve warm!
8. Store leftover burgers, sealed, in the fridge for up to a day, or freeze and consume within a few weeks for best flavour and texture. To reheat: warm in a 180 degree oven until warmed through, about 12 minutes, depending on burger thickness.