“How to get perfect, crispy Tofu!”
Have you tried to cook tofu at home but it wasn’t a winner…Well don’t give up just yet, here are my tips for how to achieve perfect, crispy tofu!
Firstly, there are lots of brands out there but whichever one I get on the day, I make sure its Organic and Non GMO. Next, its important to get the right type for the dish you are making.
Let me break it down…
Silken tofu: Silken tofu works well in creamy and blended foods like smoothies, desserts, puddings, salad dressings, sauces, and dips.
Medium tofu: This tofu is denser than silken but still fairly delicate. It works well in gently simmered soups, like miso.
Firm tofu: This tofu absorbs flavors well and can be stir-fried and pan-fried, and is also great crumbled and used in tofu scrambles.
Extra-firm tofu: Consider extra-firm tofu the all-purpose tofu that holds its shape well and is excellent for slicing and cubing. It’s an ideal choice for pan-frying, stir-frying, baking, grilling, and scrambling and that is what we are going to use today!
No matter which type you are using tofu does contain a fair amount of water so even when we use Extra-firm tofu we need to remove any excess water to make sure we get it crispy. How do we do this 🤷🏻♀️
Leave your block of extra frim tofu in between a few layers of paper towels and weigh it down with something heavy for 20 minutes and bobs your uncle 👌🏼
Then its time to get cooking…
1. Preheat over to 190 degrees
2. Cut up Tofu into cubes and season. Depending on what you are cooking will depend on what you use. My favourites are Tamari with/without chilli and ginger, Herbamere, Nutritional Yeast.
3. Sauté in oil over medium heat for about 5 min or until browned on all sides (shaking the pan as needed to cook all sides).
4. Finish baking in the oven for about 15 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
5. Add to your bowl of veggies, beans and grains, salad, curry or stirfry.
Let me know if you have any questions and Ill do my best to answer. I’m not a chef but I’ve cooked my fair share of tofu 😉